Ukrainian Institute aspires to make the Ukrainian language better known in the world.
With this aim Ukrainian Institute:
- Promotes Ukrainian names and use of Ukrainian transliteration;
- Informs foreigners about the possibilities of studying Ukrainian;
- Initiates and supports creation of Ukrainian audio guides in the museums and galleries across the world;
- Cooperates with National Commission on the Standards of the State Language.
Ukrainian audio guides in the museums
Why should you learn the Ukrainian language?
- To explore the richness of Ukrainian culture and art. Knowledge of Ukrainian helps to access a rich cultural heritage and contemporary culture of Ukraine.
- To get around Ukraine. Knowledge of Ukrainian will allow you to travel more freely in Ukraine, to discover new historical and natural sites.
- To study at the best Ukrainian university. Ukraine offers a wide range of educational opportunities for foreign students. More information is here.
Online resources to help learn Ukrainian
Although Ukrainian Institute does not run language classes, we offer you a wide range of online resources to help learn Ukrainian from basic to advance level.
- Duolingo. Any level of proficiency. Free bite-sized lessons adjusted for your level of proficiency training you in all aspects of language. Created in partnership with Peace Corps volunteers who served in Ukraine, so it will aid you greatly if you consider doing community service in the country.
- Р.І.Д is an application expands the user’s vocabulary. Each day, the user receives three new words to learn and thus gradually overcomes seven levels of application.
- Mondly. For beginners.
The app covers numerous topics needed for traveling and engages all aspects of language learning: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. The app is great for keeping your motivation up by tracking your progress and demonstrating your achievements over time.
For pre-intermediate learners and higher. You can start speaking some Ukrainian from the very first lesson due to the app’s focus on speaking skills. You will learn proper pronunciation by listening to native speakers. The lessons are all audio which makes it convenient for listening while driving, exercising, or doing household chores.
- Promova. Promova, a one-stop solution for all language learning needs, recently released an updated Ukrainian course that contains cultural context. The course contains 48 bite-sized lessons. With this course Promova is demonstrating both the distinctiveness of Ukrainian language and its commonalities with English to show that it is easier to learn than it may seem at first glance.
Phrasebooks are easy to use during trips, they have a large vocabulary of words and common phrases. The user can practice proper pronunciation of words and phrases and improve knowledge of Ukrainian phonetics by using these apps.
Ukrainian Lessons Podcast is a series of free audio lessons to learn conversational modern Ukrainian by Anna Ohoiko.
All levels of proficiency.
From the alphabet and basic greetings to more complex grammar and slang. In each of the five seasons of the podcast, Anna introduces a new level of proficiency. In separate episodes teacher Ohoiko also breaks down songs’ lyrics, converses with native speakers, and includes tips on how to learn more effectively.
Speak Ukrainian platform is intended for everyone who needs to improve the Ukrainian language — both Ukrainian citizens and foreigners.
A Taste of Ukrainian, Read Ukrainian!, Ukrainian Words, Communicative Ukrainian for Research and Fieldwork are online resources developed by Marta Jenkala, Ukrainian Institute London.
Ukrainian language spelling simulator is combining theory with practical tasks, it contributes to learning of Ukrainian grammar and improve spelling skills.
Ukrainskamova is a website that includes rules of spelling, punctuation, correct accents, as well as a dictionary of synonyms.
Any level of proficiency.
Ukrainian founded-platform platform that connects students with Ukrainian language tutors. You can schedule sessions with a native speaker who is best for you to practice with based on your goals. Security on the platform is guaranteed.
Perfect for pre-intermediate to advanced learners.
Deep immersion in the language through content in the original language. The platform collected books, news, science, business, or travel articles all in one place for you. Your account can be synchronized on multiple devices. It also allows you to look up new words and save them in the dictionary.
Any level of proficiency.
Site that offers learning tools for all levels from beginner to advanced. You can take a course or just do individual listening or reading tasks for fun discovering interesting facts about Ukraine along the way. One of the platforms where you can learn for free.
The platform includes online courses on Ukrainian, promotion of the Ukrainian language, cultural and educational courses, teacher training courses.
Free English language course that will help a foreigner to acquire basic knowledge of the Ukrainian language. The course offers eBooks, the Ukrainian audios and online recorder to practice the pronunciation.
Real-life course taught by Ph.D. professors that consists of 20 lessons. Allows you to learn grammar and vocabulary needed for daily life as well as effectively introduces the phonetics of the language. Does not overload learners with difficult grammar explanations.
Yuri Shevchuk, Beginner’s Ukrainian (2013).
Є. Голованенко, Українська мова для іноземців. Рівень 1, 2, 3. (2020).
Данута Мазурик, Крок за кроком. Українська мова для іноземців. 2017
Галина Макарова, Let’s Speak Ukrainian (1, 2, 3) 2010
Підручники МІОКу (Міжнародний інститут освіти, культури та зв’язків з діаспорою Національного університету “Львівська політехніка”)
Repository Simon Kuznets Kharkiv National University of Economics: textbooks and dictionaries.
- Mova.info. Linguistic portal.
- Yuri I. Shevchuk, The Ukrainian-English Collocation Dictionary (2021) This dictionary combines elements of six types of dictionaries: translation, collocation, learner’s, thesaurus, phraseological and encyclopedic dictionaries.
- Slovnyk is an explanatory and orthographic dictionary of the Ukrainian language. The resource also provides a tool for transliterating names.
- Goroh is a public electronic library, which contains the main dictionaries of the Ukrainian language.
LanguageTool is a free and open-source multilingual grammar, style, and spell checker, all its features are available for download.
Online corrector is a writing assistant instrument that automatically correct errors in Ukrainian texts in Google Docs or Microsoft Word.
UkrMova is a free service for review spelling, grammar, punctuation.
The list was prepared in cooperation with the National Commission on the Standards of the State Language, Ukrainian universities with the special thanks to Mariana Doboni.