Regional Department of the Security Service of Ukraine in Chernihiv
(Former District Court Building )
February 25, 2022
The two-story building of the district court was built in 1904 according to a project by architect Ye. Yanovskyi. Until October 1917, it housed the district court, later Soviet institutions. In 1947, the building was partially rebuilt while preserving the architecture of the facades and interiors.
On February 25, 2022, Russian invaders fired on the old building of the former District Court Building in Chernihiv, which housed the regional SBU office. Two rockets and the resulting fire damaged the roof and interiors of the building, which is a historical monument of local significance.
As a result of the fire, the archive of the Security Service in the Chernihiv region was also completely destroyed. The SBU unit in Chernihiv kept significant arrays of documentary material: about 13,000 declassified cases against the repressed, as well as documents of the Soviet secret service—orders, correspondence, personal and intelligence files of the twentieth century.