A historical monument of local importance, where the KGB archive was kept.
On February 25, 2022, the second day of the Russian full-scale invasion of Ukraine, the Russian forces fired on the building of the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) in Chernihiv, which is a historical monument of local significance. Most importantly, the building housed a KGB archive.
The building, erected in 1904, was originally designed by architect Ye. Yanovskyi for Chernihiv’s District Court. Its neoclassical façade is decorated with two pairs of pilasters of Corinthian order, ending in a horizontal attic line. In 1947, the building was partially rebuilt while preserving the architecture of the façades and interiors.
The Chernihiv Regional Department of the SBU kept a KGB archive with a significant array of documentary material: about 13,000 declassified cases against Ukrainians repressed by the Soviet regime, as well as documents of the Soviet secret service (orders, correspondence, and dossiers of the 20th century). Over half a million documents in total were declassified. However, very few were digitised.
Two missiles fired by Russian troops and the resulting fire damaged the roof and interiors of the SBU building. As a result of the fire, the archive was completely destroyed.
The site that once held memories has now turned into a memory itself.
The first building of the Vasyl Tarnavsky Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities, modern library and hub for youth. For 120 years, this place protected Ukrainian history, culture, and spirituality.
The site that is famous for the mosaics by a Merited Artist of Ukraine Volodymyr Zinchenko, which became invaluable Ukrainian monumental artworks.
The stadium was built in the 1930s and is the base of Olympic training in Chernihiv.
The stone church in Chernihiv region, which is a century-old architectural monument.
An integral part of the historical heritage of Chernihiv and one of the oldest sanctuaries of the Orthodox world.
Building of Regional Youth Center, earlier – Cinema named after Shchors, built in 1939.
An outstanding monument of history and architecture built in 1820–1827 in honour of the victory in the war with Napoleon’s army.