More than 13 million foreigners learned about the destroyed cultural sites through the “Postcards from Ukraine” campaign
The “Postcards from Ukraine” campaign reached an audience of more than 13 million people online in more than 60 countries.
Since the beginning of its full-scale invasion, the Russian army has destroyed more than 500 unique cultural and historical objects. The Ukrainian Institute, with the support of USAID, launched the international campaign “Postcards from Ukraine“, which tells about the destroyed heritage of Ukraine. Within the project, a single database of 100 landmarks was created, where you can see the scale of the destruction and read the history of each object in Ukrainian and English.
As part of the campaign, foreign and Ukrainian celebrities told the story of damaged or destroyed heritage in the video:
- Hugh Bonneville, a British actor who played in the series “Downton Abbey”, spoke about Kharkiv;
- Malik Harris, German singer and participant of Eurovision 2022, drew attention to the House of the manager of the Koenig estate in Trostyanets;
- Andriy Yarmolenko, a Ukrainian football player, spoke about the Gagarin stadium in Chernihiv;
- Samantha Power, USAID Administrator, spoke about the School of Economics building of Vasyl Karazin Kharkiv National University;
- Tymofii Muzychuk, musician and member of the Kalush Orkestra band spoke about the House of Culture in Irpin;
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy, a Ukrainian-American choreographer, became the voice for the Chernihiv Regional Youth Centre;
- Monika Liu, Lithuanian singer and participant of Eurovision 2022, became the voice for destroyed Mariupol;
- Members of the DakhaBrakha band spoke about the Ascension Church in Lukashivka.
The project was covered in more than 30 pieces of national and regional media in the USA (Bloomberg, HuffPost), Lithuania, India, Belgium (De Standaard), Britain (SkyNews), Germany, Bulgaria, France (Sciences Po), Italy (Corriere della Sera) and Spain (La Vanguardia).
Thanks to our partners, 11 exhibitions using project materials have already been held in Turkey, USA, Kazakhstan, Israel, India, North Macedonia, Sweden, Japan, Great Britain. Exhibitions in France, Bulgaria, Hungary, Belgium and other countries are to be organised soon.
Ukrainian influencers Oleksandr Pedan, Olena Shoptenko, alyona alyona, KAZKA, Yevhen Klopotenko, Kateryna Pavlenko (Go_A band), Yaroslava Kravchenko and others also joined the campaign.
“Postcards from Ukraine” is a project of the Ukrainian Institute aiming to tell about the destroyed cultural and historical sites of Ukraine. For the support of USAID, a single database was created containing information about 100 monuments and allowing one to see the scale of damage and read the history of each in Ukrainian and English.
The project team calls everyone to tell the world about the destruction of Ukrainian culture, distribute the postcards on social networks and send them to friends abroad so that the world learns the truth about Russia’s atrocious devastation of the cultural heritage of Ukraine. Use a hashtag #PostcardsFromUkraine.