The oldest square in the city. From XVIII to early XX centuries, this place became the centre of the city culture.
Maidan Konstytutsii is the central square of Kharkiv, which emerged with the founding of the city. Almost every building in the square is an architectural and historical monument. It hosts the Kharkiv City Council and other central municipal authorities.
The square dates back to the 17th century, when the Kharkiv fortress was built. Originally a marketplace, the square hosted a large annual fair dedicated to the Feast of the Assumption. In the 18th century, St. Nicholas church was built here, lending its name to the square. During this period, the square became the centre of not only trade but also of the cultural life of the city, with a popular theatre that staged plays here almost daily.
Since the beginning of the 19th century, stone buildings started to emerge on the square. The oldest of them that survived to this day is the Fraternity House of the Dormition Cathedral built in 1849. Gradually, the square became the administrative centre of the city: the building of the City Duma was constructed here in 1885, which still serves its purpose of hosting the Kharkiv City Council. By the end of the century, the square was paved and illuminated with electric street lamps.
The late 19th and early 20th centuries were the time of rapid economic growth in Kharkiv, and most of the historic buildings on the square belonged to that period. In the last years of the Russian Empire, many banks and commercial buildings in Art Nouveau, Neo-Baroque, and Neo-Renaissance styles appeared here.
After Kharkiv became the capital of the Ukrainian Soviet Republic, its architecture turned to Constructivism and later Stalinist Neoclassicism. Many older buildings were either demolished, repurposed or expanded. For example, a large apartment building in the Neoclassical style erected in 1916 and designed by the architect Hyppolite Prétreaus, was turned into a Palace of Labour. The 19th-century City Duma was rebuilt in a Stalinist style with extra floors and a tower added.
The square got its current name in 1996, as Ukraine adopted the Constitution. In 2011, the reconstruction of the square began with the dismantling of the monument commemorating the proclamation of the Soviet power in Ukraine. A new Monument in honour of Ukraine’s Independence was erected in its place and solemnly unveiled on August 22, 2012.
Maidan Konstytutsii has been more than a landmark for Kharkivites. It is a true heart of the city, from which its main arteries diverge, and a place of political and cultural gatherings. It was here that the Kharkiv Euromaidan took place during the Revolution of Dignity in 2013–2014.
With the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Kharkiv became one of the main targets for the invaders. As a result of constant bombing and shelling by Russian troops, Maidan Konstytutsii suffered severe damage. Among the buildings whose facades, roofs, and windows were destroyed or heavily damaged were the former Fraternity House of the Dormition Cathedral (1849) and the former Palace of Labour (1916), both used as administrative buildings; the Kharkiv City Council (1885–1950); and several apartment buildings of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Whatever stored the memories may now become a memory itself.
Kharkiv National University named after Vasyl Karazin, founded in 1804, is one of the oldest institutions of higher education not only in Ukraine, but also in Eastern Europe.
National Literary Memorial Museum of the Ukrainian Philosopher and Poet (18th-century building).
The central square of Kharkiv. It ranks sixth in Europe. Here are the most important administrative institutions of the city.
190-years-old architectural monument in the classical style, built in 1832, which used to be the manor of Kharkiv officials and became an excellent illustration of Kharkiv’s life in the 19th century.
Built thanks to the cooperation of students, professors, and institute personnel of the Kharkiv Polytechnic between 1985 and 1991, the sports complex became the site for practising over 30 different kinds of sport, as well as an Olympic training base and the only sports facility in Ukraine to receive the State Award in architecture.
An ancient building, erected in one of the historical neighbourhoods of Kharkiv in the early 20th century. Several generations of Ukrainians have studied at this school for more than a hundred years.
A building of the beginning of the ХХ century in eclecticism style, which housed a female gymnasium from the time of construction and until the 1920s.
Church in the largest residential area of Kharkiv – Saltivka. The architecture of the building, built in 2013 for the Independence Day of Ukraine, resonates with Ukrainian Baroque traditions.
One of the largest Fine Arts museums of Ukraine. The museum’s collection is one of the oldest and most valuable artistic properties of Ukraine.
One of the oldest musical theaters and the first permanent opera house of Ukraine. Its history dates back to the end of the 18th century.
The main center of ensuring the accuracy of measurements in Ukraine with more than a century of history.
Former House of Judicial Institutions was constructed in the best Neo-Renaissance traditions. The building has the features of Italian palazzos and the exterior of the house stands out due to its sophisticated design.
An extraordinary building of the early 20th century in the architectural ensemble of the Constitution Square in Kharkiv built in the Art Nouveau and Neoclassicism styles.
In 1940, 3809 captive Polish officers and 500 Polish civilians were shot here by order of the Soviet government.
This house became a home for Ukrainian writers and artists in 1928. The Soviet government built it for the Ukrainian intellectuals, but soon this place turned out to be a trap.
Holocaust Memorial Complex (menorah monument of 2002).
The cathedral is the oldest Orthodox church in Kharkiv and has great historical and art value.
A brick church constructed on the site of a wooden temple. The first mention of this building dates back to 1691.
Architectural monument, built in 1884–1886. For more than 130 years, the building has helped save the city and its citizens from fires.