A building of the beginning of the ХХ century in eclecticism style, which housed a female gymnasium from the time of construction and until the 1920s.
The history of women’s education in Kharkiv began in 1812 with the opening of the Institute for Noble Maidens and continued with the establishment of a private school for the daughters of nobles and merchants. Kharkiv was significantly ahead of other cities in terms of the development of women’s education. So, it is not surprising that in the second half of the 19th century, gymnasiums for girls were founded in smaller towns, in particular, Izium. In 1870, a pro-gymnasium (incomplete secondary school) with a six-year course of study for girls of mainly noble origins was opened here, followed by a gymnasium with a seven-year course of study. However, the right to get an education was granted not only to the daughters of the mayor, local officials, and entrepreneurs, as the education of some students was covered by the city council.
Students studied God’s Law, history, mathematics, French, German, and Russian (the official language of the Russian Empire, which at the time included Ukraine), literature, geography, natural science, physics, pedagogy, needlework, drawing, music, and vocal art.
The Izium gymnasium was growing, so the institution needed more space. A new two-storey gymnasium designed by Mykhailo Lovtsov in the eclectic style was constructed in 1903. Its parquet floor, as well as its windows, doors, and building materials, were taken from a former palace near Izium. Here, education continued until 1918. From 1920 to 1940, the building was home to a pedagogical college named after Ivan Franko, a prominent Ukrainian writer, public figure, and politician. In the postwar years, this dilapidated house served as a labor camp for war prisoners. In the 1960s, the former gymnasium was converted into a city polyclinic, which operated until Russia’s large-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
During the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Izium served as a strategic bridgehead for Russian forces. By capturing the city and cutting off access to Donbas, the Ukrainian forces could be encircled. Therefore, the Russian military exerted maximum effort to capture Izium, applying scorched-earth tactics against the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the civilian population. Due to incessant shelling and a significant numerical advantage, the Russian army gained control over Izium at the beginning of April. However, the road to Donbas remained under the control of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, which have been holding back the Russian military in this direction for several months.
Because Izium became one of the war’s flashpoints, a large part of it was destroyed. As a result of the Russian forces’ shelling, the hundred and twenty-year-old building of the former female gymnasium was damaged. A part of it burned out. Opened shortly after the abolition of serfdom in the Russian Empire, it became a local symbol of education, independence, and gender equality. And in 2022, this place was added to the list of the destroyed and damaged cultural heritage of Ukraine and Europe, which again have to defend the basic civilizational values of human life and freedom.
The site that once held memories may now turn into a memory itself.
Kharkiv National University named after Vasyl Karazin, founded in 1804, is one of the oldest institutions of higher education not only in Ukraine, but also in Eastern Europe.
National Literary Memorial Museum of the Ukrainian Philosopher and Poet (18th-century building).
The central square of Kharkiv. It ranks sixth in Europe. Here are the most important administrative institutions of the city.
190-years-old architectural monument in the classical style, built in 1832, which used to be the manor of Kharkiv officials and became an excellent illustration of Kharkiv’s life in the 19th century.
Built thanks to the cooperation of students, professors, and institute personnel of the Kharkiv Polytechnic between 1985 and 1991, the sports complex became the site for practising over 30 different kinds of sport, as well as an Olympic training base and the only sports facility in Ukraine to receive the State Award in architecture.
An ancient building, erected in one of the historical neighbourhoods of Kharkiv in the early 20th century. Several generations of Ukrainians have studied at this school for more than a hundred years.
Church in the largest residential area of Kharkiv – Saltivka. The architecture of the building, built in 2013 for the Independence Day of Ukraine, resonates with Ukrainian Baroque traditions.
One of the largest Fine Arts museums of Ukraine. The museum’s collection is one of the oldest and most valuable artistic properties of Ukraine.
One of the oldest musical theaters and the first permanent opera house of Ukraine. Its history dates back to the end of the 18th century.
The main center of ensuring the accuracy of measurements in Ukraine with more than a century of history.
Former House of Judicial Institutions was constructed in the best Neo-Renaissance traditions. The building has the features of Italian palazzos and the exterior of the house stands out due to its sophisticated design.
An extraordinary building of the early 20th century in the architectural ensemble of the Constitution Square in Kharkiv built in the Art Nouveau and Neoclassicism styles.
In 1940, 3809 captive Polish officers and 500 Polish civilians were shot here by order of the Soviet government.
The oldest square in the city. From XVIII to early XX centuries, this place became the centre of the city culture.
This house became a home for Ukrainian writers and artists in 1928. The Soviet government built it for the Ukrainian intellectuals, but soon this place turned out to be a trap.
Holocaust Memorial Complex (menorah monument of 2002).
The cathedral is the oldest Orthodox church in Kharkiv and has great historical and art value.
A brick church constructed on the site of a wooden temple. The first mention of this building dates back to 1691.
Architectural monument, built in 1884–1886. For more than 130 years, the building has helped save the city and its citizens from fires.