A two-storey manor in the classical style with a neo-Gothic tower, built in Mariupol 125 years ago. The state was a property of respected doctors.
Mariupol citizens have known the Gamperivskyi descent, which is not far from the sea, since their childhood. It is renowned not only for its unusual name but also for a neo-Gothic tower built here 125 years ago.
The descent name and the tower are closely related to the Gamper’s family history. A forensic medical expert, Friedrich Gamper, settled here with his family in the middle of the 19th century. At that time, a two-storey manor in the classical style did not yet have a tower.
When Serhii Gamper, Friedrich’s son, graduated from Kharkiv Medical University and started his medical practice, an outbuilding with a large room used as his office was added to the manor in the early 1870s. The young doctor Gamper quickly gained recognition throughout Mariupol, so locals called the descent ‘medical.’
The tower was constructed later as an embodiment of Friedrich Gamper’s entrepreneurial ambitions. He submitted a petition to the City Council for permission to build a plant or factory on his estate’s territory. So the soon-to-be-built two-storey red brick tower initially had a solely industrial purpose. With its narrow half-oval windows, ornamental stonework, and a built-in three-tiered tower with a hipped roof, this building looked like a Gothic castle.
After Friedrich Gamper’s death, the family residence was sold. Later, the Soviet government tried to set up sausage production facilities at the estate. This building survived World War II, and co-housing was organised here for dozens of families in the post-war period. After the restoration of Ukraine’s independence, the building remained residential and housed six apartments where families lived until the end of February 2022.
During the full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine and the merciless destruction of Mariupol with all possible types of weapons, the Russian army also damaged Gamper’s house: its facades, roof, and interiors were partially destroyed. The fabulous tower was the central sight of the estate and the entire descent. It survived two world wars and then became a home for several generations of Ukrainians, but could not withstand the Russian invasion of Ukraine in the 21st century.
The site that once held memories may now turn into a memory itself.
Formerly Palace of Culture of the Azovstal plant. The building of the former Continental hotel (1887–1910).
A unique monastery complex of the XVI–XIX centuries with natural caves.
Historical buildings reflecting the Mariupol architecture of the late XIX and early XX centuries before the Bolshevik Revolution.
Donbas Arena is the home stadium of the Ukrainian ‘Shakhtar’ football club, which became the first of the ‘elite’ category in Ukraine and in all of Eastern Europe.
An ancient building of 1902 in the Northern Art Nouveau style, which comprised under its roof the works by respected Ukrainian landscape painters, as well as world-famous marine and realist artists.
Invaluable monumental artworks, created by a group of Ukrainian monumentalists led by Alla Horska, a dissident artist and one of the Sixtiers movement’s founders. These panels incorporated elements of Ukrainian folk tradition, contemporary world trends, and Soviet art.
Formerly prospering trade and then a metallurgical centre of Ukraine that has become the symbol of the bloody Russian invasion of Ukraine and the genocide committed by the Russian army and government.
The only church in the world entirely decorated with Petrykivka paintings, an ancient style of folk Ukrainian decorative painting included in the UNESCO intangible cultural heritage.
The museum was established at the Faculty of History of Mariupol State University. It has become an important cultural and educational site bringing together students, professors, and citizens around the native land’s history.
The manor of Mariupol City Council’s mayor, having more than 150 years of history behind. Its architecture incorporated elements of the Stalinist Empire, Neoclassicism, and Baroque.
One of the oldest and largest Ukrainian museums, which collection comprised over 180 thousand exhibits, including the monuments and artefacts of world importance.
One of the biggest steam mills in the German Mennonite colony that existed in the Donetsk region at the turn of the 20th century. Built in 1903, this mill had been feeding people of New York and all of its suburbs for decades.
The central church of the Sviatohirsk Lavra’s convent, erected in the neoclassical style with baroque elements in 2005 in the site of a stone church of 19th century dismantled by the Bolsheviks.
The house was built in the constructivist style in 1929. It has been the centre of the city’s creative life for almost a hundred years.
Former State Bank’s building, constructed at the turn of the 20th century. In 2019, this site housed the city library, which history began back in 1904. An intellectual and educational centre of the city.
Part of the Sviatohirsk Lavra. All the skete’s buildings are made of massive pine trunks. The All Saints Church, the main skete’s sanctuary, used to be the biggest wooden church in Ukraine.
The Azovstal plant in Mariupol was one of the largest iron and steel producers in Europe. In 2022 it became a symbol of resistance to brutal Russian aggression and the incredible courage of Ukrainian fighters.
Educational institution with more than 140 years of history where many generations of Mariupol citizens studied.
Center of spiritual life of Muslims of Donetsk region.
Two buildings are a monument to an entire era. They were the last buildings in Mariupol designed in the Stalinist Neoclassicism style.
One of the oldest theatres in the Left-bank Ukraine.
The mosque was built in 2007 on the site of a mosque built in 1906 and destroyed by the Bolsheviks in 1936.
St. Demetrius Church dedicated to the holy martyr Demetrius of Thessaloniki is one of the oldest in the region.