Educational institution with more than 140 years of history where many generations of Mariupol citizens studied.
‘Civil society’, as we would term it today, existed in Ukraine well before the term was coined. The initiative to construct the Oleksandrivska Male Gymnasium in Mariupol was an example of the local community’s activity.
The port city of Mariupol grew rapidly in the second half of the 19th century, prompting the establishment of a new educational institution. In 1875, the first academic year began for the students of the preparatory and first grades at the pro-gymnasium. A year later, the gymnasium was opened. During its first 20 years, the school rented space from a local merchant because it lacked its own building. However, the construction of the school finally began in 1894 at the request of the students’ parents. It was soon built and designed by Odessa architect Mykola Tolvinskyi in the Neo-Baroque style with Secession elements.
Almost 5 years later, on October 30, 1899, the Oleksandrivska Gymnasium opened its doors for the first time. The building became a hub for academic life and student self-government. Here, a museum, a library, and the journal ‘Pervotsvit’ (‘Primrose’) were established, and the journal was printed by high school students at the gymnasium printing house.
Soon after, the Bolsheviks closed the Oleksandrivska Male Gymnasium. At various times, the building housed courses for village activists, a party school, and a metallurgical technical school. At the beginning of the Second World War, this location housed a Soviet and then a German hospital. As they were retreating, the Nazis set fire to the former gymnasium. It was restored in 1952, again at the initiative and expense of the metallurgical technical college students’ parents.
The college functioned until February 2022. More than 1,300 students studied law, tourism, welding, engineering, management, electrical engineering, transport, and computer technology at this institution.
However, in the spring of 2022, Mariupol was entirely destroyed by the Russian troops because the city didn’t surrender till the end. Mariupol College stopped working. Its facades, windows, and roof were damaged. For many generations of Mariupol residents, this institution served as a place of personal development and a source of fond childhood memories.
The site that once held memories has now turned into a memory itself.
Formerly Palace of Culture of the Azovstal plant. The building of the former Continental hotel (1887–1910).
A unique monastery complex of the XVI–XIX centuries with natural caves.
Historical buildings reflecting the Mariupol architecture of the late XIX and early XX centuries before the Bolshevik Revolution.
Donbas Arena is the home stadium of the Ukrainian ‘Shakhtar’ football club, which became the first of the ‘elite’ category in Ukraine and in all of Eastern Europe.
An ancient building of 1902 in the Northern Art Nouveau style, which comprised under its roof the works by respected Ukrainian landscape painters, as well as world-famous marine and realist artists.
Invaluable monumental artworks, created by a group of Ukrainian monumentalists led by Alla Horska, a dissident artist and one of the Sixtiers movement’s founders. These panels incorporated elements of Ukrainian folk tradition, contemporary world trends, and Soviet art.
Formerly prospering trade and then a metallurgical centre of Ukraine that has become the symbol of the bloody Russian invasion of Ukraine and the genocide committed by the Russian army and government.
The only church in the world entirely decorated with Petrykivka paintings, an ancient style of folk Ukrainian decorative painting included in the UNESCO intangible cultural heritage.
The museum was established at the Faculty of History of Mariupol State University. It has become an important cultural and educational site bringing together students, professors, and citizens around the native land’s history.
The manor of Mariupol City Council’s mayor, having more than 150 years of history behind. Its architecture incorporated elements of the Stalinist Empire, Neoclassicism, and Baroque.
One of the oldest and largest Ukrainian museums, which collection comprised over 180 thousand exhibits, including the monuments and artefacts of world importance.
One of the biggest steam mills in the German Mennonite colony that existed in the Donetsk region at the turn of the 20th century. Built in 1903, this mill had been feeding people of New York and all of its suburbs for decades.
The central church of the Sviatohirsk Lavra’s convent, erected in the neoclassical style with baroque elements in 2005 in the site of a stone church of 19th century dismantled by the Bolsheviks.
The house was built in the constructivist style in 1929. It has been the centre of the city’s creative life for almost a hundred years.
Former State Bank’s building, constructed at the turn of the 20th century. In 2019, this site housed the city library, which history began back in 1904. An intellectual and educational centre of the city.
A two-storey manor in the classical style with a neo-Gothic tower, built in Mariupol 125 years ago. The state was a property of respected doctors.
Part of the Sviatohirsk Lavra. All the skete’s buildings are made of massive pine trunks. The All Saints Church, the main skete’s sanctuary, used to be the biggest wooden church in Ukraine.
The Azovstal plant in Mariupol was one of the largest iron and steel producers in Europe. In 2022 it became a symbol of resistance to brutal Russian aggression and the incredible courage of Ukrainian fighters.
Center of spiritual life of Muslims of Donetsk region.
Two buildings are a monument to an entire era. They were the last buildings in Mariupol designed in the Stalinist Neoclassicism style.
One of the oldest theatres in the Left-bank Ukraine.
The mosque was built in 2007 on the site of a mosque built in 1906 and destroyed by the Bolsheviks in 1936.
St. Demetrius Church dedicated to the holy martyr Demetrius of Thessaloniki is one of the oldest in the region.